Pick n Pay to automatically load personalised discounts for smart shoppers
Pick n Pay’s Smart Shopper will this month automatically load personalised discounts directly onto a customer’s loyalty card – a move that is expected to help more customers save more on their grocery shop.
Using advanced machine learning techniques, Pick n Pay gives each Smart Shopper eight personalised discounts every two weeks. These are unique to each customer and offer cash-off savings, discounts or boosted points for products they buy most often.
“This algorithm predicts what a customer is likely to buy and helps us work in conjunction with our partners to give customers personalised savings on the items they want or plan to buy,” says John Bradshaw, retail executive: marketing at Pick n Pay.
Technology improvements means that customers no longer have to activate their personalised discounts like they had to in the past. To receive these discounts, customers will need to ensure they have given permission to be contacted, and customers can update this personal preference via the app, website, or kiosk.
From 14 July 2020, when personalised discounts are automated, Smart Shoppers who have opted in for communication will notice the discounts automatically applied and visible on their till slip when they swipe their card.
Smart Shoppers were issued over R4.0 billion in personalised vouchers last year, and redemptions of these vouchers has increased year-on-year since it was launched in March 2017 after customers asked for more immediate savings on everyday items.
The future of loyalty programmes lies in offering real value in the most seamless way possible, says Bradshaw. “All Smart Shoppers are earning and spending their points but many weren’t reaping the full rewards of the programme by not regularly loading the personalised discounts.
“This improvement will instantly help put money back in customer’s pockets at a time when budgets are under pressure.”
He points to an example of the savings personalised discounts could offer customers: A customer, who spent approximately R3,200 per month, used 62 personalised discounts during the year which saved him a total of R1,350 off his grocery bill and earned him an additional R60 in boosted Smart Shopper points. He earned a total of R382 in points during the year as he received bonus points by being a member of a Smart Shopper Club.
Free to join, Smart Shopper has four dedicated clubs, namely Wine, Baby, Pet and Coffee. Bradshaw explains that they are another way to boost savings and earn Smart Shopper points, especially if customers purchase items within these categories regularly.
“Another customer spent approximately R3,300 per month on grocery items, used only a handful of personalised discounts but was an active PnP Pet Club member. She regularly used the exclusive discounts she got through the Club and received 3x points boost on all pet-related products she bought. This helped her saved R3,800 and get R300 in Smart Shopper points in 2019.”
To further offer relief to customers, Pick n Pay also recently announced it will invest R500-million of its efficiency savings into offering customers bigger deals and more savings on essential grocery items at a time they need it most. “These savings will be applied to various everyday basic food items, including bulk fresh produce and combo deals, as required over the next year to keep prices as low as possible for customers,” says Bradshaw.
For Savings Month this July, Pick n Pay has shared 7 #waystosave through the PnP Smart Shopper programme:
1. Be an engaged Smart Shopper: Customers should check and update their details via the PnP app, website or in-store kiosk so that they get the latest news. Customers also need to opt in for communication to have their personalised discounts automatically added to their card.
2. Use your personalised discounts: These discounts are great as they offer instant cash off savings or discounts on the items each customer regularly buys. No two Smart Shopper personalised discount are the same as each customer shops differently. The personalised discounts are separate to the savings from in-store promotions and the new ‘Smart Price’ that customers get on selected promotions when swiping their Smart Shopper card in-store.
3. Join the Club: Pick n Pay has launched four dedicated Smart Shopper clubs: Baby, Pet, Wine and Coffee. Sign up is completely free and all members receive monthly exclusive discounts and 3 x points on any items purchased in that respective category.
4. Pay with your TymeBank card and received double Smart Shopper points in Pick n Pay stores, as well as points anywhere else you swipe and pay your TymeBank card.
5. Earn bonus points, outside of Pick n Pay stores: Customers can earn and spend Smart Shopper points outside of Pick n Pay stores through the programme’s partners, such as BP. Customers earn 10 points for every litre of fuel bought at BP when swiping their Smart Shopper card.
6. Link your Smart Shopper card for cashback benefits: If customers are a Momentum Multiply or Discovery Vitality member, they can enjoy cashback rewards on a portion of their spend at Pick n Pay.
7. Pay with points: Customers can use their points to pay towards their purchase at any Pick n Pay till point or online. Customers can also save their points to buy what they really want or need. Remember: points are valid for 12 months from the time they are earned.