Key information – continuing operations for the 53-week period
· Sale of merchandise increased by 8.1% to R168.0 billion
· Trading profit increased by 24.9% to R10.3 billion
· Diluted headline earnings per share (DHEPS) increased by 20.1% to 952.5 cents (restated 2020*: 793.4 cents)
· Adjusted DHEPS** increased by 20.7% to 883.8 cents (restated 2020*: 732.5 cents)
· Full year dividend increased by 42.0% to 544 cents (2020: 383 cents)
· Opened a net of 112 stores comprising 76 corporate and 36 franchise stores
Pro forma information – continuing operations for the 52-week period***
· Sale of merchandise increased by 5.9% to R164.5 billion
· Trading profit increased by 20.9% to R10.0 billion
* Restated for newly classified discontinued operations in accordance with IFRS 5: Non-current Assets Held for Sale and Discontinued Operations.
** The adjusted DHEPS constitutes pro forma financial information in terms of the JSE Listings Requirements.
*** The 52-week information provided constitutes pro forma financial information in terms of the JSE Listings Requirements.
Pieter Engelbrecht, Chief Executive Officer
2021 was a challenging year for the countries in which we operate but as a result of the Group’s commitment and execution we increased sale of merchandise by 8.1%. In rand terms, this growth equates to an additional R12.6 billion in sales on last year’s restated base to total a record R168.0 billion in sales for the year. Adjusting for the extra week included in this year’s reporting period, on a 52-on-52-week basis our rand sale of merchandise growth on last year’s base measured R9.1 billion.