New flagship Checkers Hyper in Brackenfell features food truck, helium bar and extensive range of specialist food products
Checkers Hyper has a newly revamped supermarket in the Cape Town suburb of Brackenfell, which has now become one of the group’s flagship branches. The state-of-the-art Checkers Hyper Brackenfell promises a world-class shopping experience with a strong emphasis on fresh food and convenience.
Customers will immediately notice an improved store layout, which makes it easier to find the foods that are suited to their lifestyle and dietary requirements. The new store has wider aisles and seamless floors that allow trolleys to move with limited noise, making for a tranquil supermarket shopping experience.
The primary attraction of this new supermarket are the numerous in-store departments offering a variety of specialist products, including:
● A bakery stocking freshly-made artisanal breads, delicious pastries, luxury cakes, and handmade pies by popular brands Schoon and Houw Hoek Pies;
● A deli featuring a wide range of delicacies including the new and exclusive charcuterie range made by Farmer Angus;
● Stone-baked pizzas cooked in the in-house open-flame pizza oven, as well as a selection of meats and veggies expertly prepared on an imported rodizio grill;
● A sit-down sushi bar;
● An on-site food truck serving prego rolls, hamburgers, and boerewors rolls made with Checkers’ famous Championship Boerewors;
● A dedicated health and wellness section;
● An in-store Kauai serving its popular salads, wraps and smoothies;
● A chocolatier bar with locally-made, hand-crafted artisanal chocolates created by My Sugar.
Checkers Hyper Brackenfell also has a temperature-controlled wine section with wines from over 100 leading estates - more international wines than any other supermarket in South Africa - along with French champagne and the widest range of Italian Prosecco. The room is equipped with innovative digital screens that customers can use to search for wines according to various factors, like price points, and cheese and food pairing recommendations.
The new flagship Checkers Hyper store truly is a one-stop shop for customers with an in-store MediRite pharmacy, a dedicated outdoor section, TechX where customers can find the best tech deals, a party shop with helium bar, a water filling station, and even a standalone pet department.
In spite of a difficult 12 months for many businesses in South Africa, Checkers has remained committed to securing its employees’ jobs. In launching this one-of-a-kind shopping experience, the new store in Brackenfell has also created 48 new jobs, bringing the total staff complement at the store to 274.