Skip to main content

Global milk consumption up 2,4%

| Supplier news

The global market for drinking milk continued to grow in 2015, rising by 2,4% to 251 billion litres, according to a new report from leading food and drinks industry consultancy Zenith International.

White milk remains by far the most commonly consumed type, capturing 93% of total volume, with flavoured milk accounting for the remaining 7%. Both segments are expected to strengthen in the years to 2020, with annual growth of 2% and 7% respectively.

The majority of consumption takes place in the Asia Pacific region, with volume in excess of 130 billion litres, or 52% of the global market. This is followed by West Europe, North America and Latin America, with a combined share of 35%.  Sales in all regions apart from North America increased in 2015.

Innovation is widespread in the industry, with manufacturers striving to capture market share through offering consumers added value.

"Milk is inherently functional and offers a natural combination of minerals and vitamins. The industry has embraced innovation in order to invigorate the category as competition intensifies with other beverage sectors," says Zenith market intelligence director Esther Renfrew.

The 2016 Zenith Report on Milk Innovation identifies nine key trends and themes driving new product development initiatives since 2014:

added protein;

child-oriented:

 vitamin and mineral enriched:

gender focus:

indulgence;

lactose-free;

low-fat;

sports nutrition; and

weight management.

The report also offers an overview of the global milk market, with market insights covering global and specific regional trends as well as challenges and opportunities.

The 2016 Zenith Report on Milk Innovation contains profiles on 69 brands launched between 2014 and 2016 across five regions under seven categories.

Pin It

Related Articles

Eskom price hikes are here — How much more cust...

By: Hanno Labuschagne - MyBroadband Eskom’s latest tariff hikes will see many direct residential customers paying between R168 and R792 more per month on their electricity bills.

Take heed of these new retail trends that emerg...

By Karen Keylock | National Retail Services Manager at Nedbank Commercial Banking South African consumers are under financial strain and, consequently, the way they shop has changed. And with further economic uncertainty expected in the coming ye...

Jumbo and Cash & Carry bring relief with newly ...

Recognising the vital role of maize meal as a staple in South African households, Jumbo and Cash & Carry stores have introduced Econo Maize Meal, a private label maize meal, to alleviate the pressure faced by consumers amidst soaring food pric...

Poultry sector calls frozen poultry imports unn...

By: Given Majola – Business Report The awarding of certain rebates for frozen poultry imports to curb alleged “shortages” in the local market were unnecessary, unjustified and damaging to the domestic poultry industry, the South African Poultry A...

Small KwaZulu-Natal family business soars to ne...

Since signing a deal with the Shoprite Group just over a year ago, Durban-based family business, TMK Foods has grown from stocking their Mediterranean Kitchen brand initially in five to now 15 Checkers stores in KwaZulu-Natal.