Skip to main content

Kraft and Heinz merger approved

| Supplier news

The proposed merger between Kraft and Heinz has been approved by Canadian authorities

Regulatory approval

The merger, which was announced in March, was subject to regulatory approval. It has now been approved by the Canadian Competition Bureau. The merge is pending Kraft shareholders’ approval, who will vote in July.

Fifth-largest food and beverage company

The deal between the two companies will create the fifth-largest food and beverage company in the world, and combined the company will be called The Kraft Heinz Company. Under the merger, Kraft shareholders will own a 49% stake in the combined company and the current Heinz shareholders will own the remaining 51%. The deal was engineered by Heinz's owners, the Brazilian investment firm 3G Capital, and billionaire investor Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway.

Combining brand portfolios

Together the new company will have eight $1 billion brands and five brands between $500m and $1bn. The merger brings together two portfolios of brands, including Heinz, Kraft, Oscar Mayer, Ore-Ida and Philadelphia.

Alex Behring, Chairman of Heinz and the Managing Partner at 3G Capital, said, “By bringing together these two iconic companies through this transaction, we are creating a strong platform for both U.S. and international growth. Our combined brands and businesses mean increased scale and relevance both in the U.S. and internationally”.

Pin It

Related Articles

Game celebrates Leap Day by making history with...

South Africa’s rebellious retailer, Game, is known for colouring outside the lines when it comes to its marketing campaigns and activations.  As part of its 2024 Leap Day campaign, the retailer is sending an iconic South African staple, Koo Baked...

Shrinkflation nation: Yes, your ice cream tub i...

By: Nick Wilson –News24 Next time you buy yourself a tub of ice cream to refresh yourself in the sweltering heat, take a close look at the contents label, particularly the information relating to size. You could find the standard two-litre ice c...

Consumers will be the real winners when Amazon ...

By Michael Walker – BusinessLive But for brands, hard work and resources will be needed, as achieving success on the platform may take time

Woolworths recalls its peanut butter ice cream ...

By:  Nick Wilson – News24 Woolworths is recalling its peanut butter ice cream brand with immediate effect over possible health risks, urging customers who had purchased the product to return it to their local store for a full refund.

Electricity minister’s plan to fix grid capacit...

By: Myles Illidge - MyBroadman Ramokgopa, says government is targeting to expedite the expansion of transmission lines to the Cape provinces in order to potentially unlock at least 2,335MW of energy in the short-term.